Sunday, February 27, 2011

Homemade Taco Seasoning



Taco seasoning is one of those things most people always have in their kitchen. It usually comes stored in individual one time use packets from the store. But if you ever turn over the packet and check the ingredient list, you'd notice that most ingredients are already in your cabinet. So why not make your own taco seasoning seasoning? You can personalize your seasoning, dependent on your heat tolerance and personal taste too. Since this is my recipe, I've added some Italian elements and adjusted it to my taste preference.




3 tbsp paprika
3 tbsp chili powder
3 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp dried oregano leaves
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp crushed pepperoncino flakes
1 1/2 tsp salt


Makes about 6-7 servings
1. These directions are very simple. Pour all the measured spices into a large bowl and stir together to mix well.
2. Store in an air tight container and use in place of the store bought taco seasoning on your favorite foods. Approximately 2 tbsp of this seasoning is equal to one packet of taco seasoning.
Source: I first saw this idea on With a Cherry on Top and also used Alton Brown's Taco Potion #19 for inspiration. I tweaked both of these and ended up with this recipe.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your lovely comments on my blog :)
    I'm so happy you did so I can learn about your blog. You've got some great stuff on here! I'm your newest follower!
    Brandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had to make my own taco seasoning a few times while on a low iodine diet. I'll keep your recipe in mind for the next time!

    ReplyDelete