It's still cold out and while I can't wait for the warmer weather to come around, I'm enjoying the comfort food that you can only get away with eating in the winter. So here is a great breakfast treat that's sweet and fun to make with the family. We recently made these during a snowed-in day with all my cousins. I've made these cinnamon rolls many times before and always loved them.
3 tbsp butter, melted
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 (1-pound) loaf frozen white bread dough, thawed
3/4 cup powdered sugar
3 tbsp mascarpone cheese
2 oz cream cheese
1 tbsp buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
1. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, and cinnamon and set aside.
2. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to a 12 x 9 inch rectangle.
3. Sprinkle sugar mix evenly on top of the entire stretched out dough, except the outer inch.
4. Brush melted butter on that outer inch of dough without sugar.
5. Beginning with one of the long sides, start rolling up the dough jelly roll style. Pinch edges to seal.
6. Cut in the dough into nine or ten equal pieces and place cut side down into a buttered baking dish. Or if you prefer, you can cut smaller pieces for more cinnamon rolls of a smaller size.
7. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and let the cinnamon rolls sit in a warm area to rise for 45 minutes.
8. Bake for about 35 minutes uncovered on 325 degrees until golden brown.
9. While the cinnamon rolls are baking, make the icing. Whisk together the powdered sugar, mascarpone, cream cheese, buttermilk, and vanilla until well combined.
10. Brush melted butter lightly over tops of warm cinnamon rolls and then drizzle icing over the tops. Serve warm!
Source: Giada De Laurentis
Also Featured on Tasty Tuesdays