Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Cinnamon Rolls


It's still cold out and while I can't wait for the warmer weather to come around, I'm enjoying the comfort food that you can only get away with eating in the winter. So here is a great breakfast treat that's sweet and fun to make with the family. We recently made these during a snowed-in day with all my cousins. I've made these cinnamon rolls many times before and always loved them.


Cinnamon Rolls:
3 tbsp butter, melted
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 (1-pound) loaf frozen white bread dough, thawed

Icing:
3/4 cup powdered sugar
3 tbsp mascarpone cheese
2 oz cream cheese
1 tbsp buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla


1. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, and cinnamon and set aside.

2. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to a 12 x 9 inch rectangle.

3. Sprinkle sugar mix evenly on top of the entire stretched out dough, except the outer inch.


4. Brush melted butter on that outer inch of dough without sugar.

5. Beginning with one of the long sides, start rolling up the dough jelly roll style. Pinch edges to seal.


6. Cut in the dough into nine or ten equal pieces and place cut side down into a buttered baking dish. Or if you prefer, you can cut smaller pieces for more cinnamon rolls of a smaller size.

7. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and let the cinnamon rolls sit in a warm area to rise for 45 minutes.

8. Bake for about 35 minutes uncovered on 325 degrees until golden brown.

9. While the cinnamon rolls are baking, make the icing. Whisk together the powdered sugar, mascarpone, cream cheese, buttermilk, and vanilla until well combined.

10. Brush melted butter lightly over tops of warm cinnamon rolls and then drizzle icing over the tops. Serve warm!

Source: Giada De Laurentis

Also Featured on Tasty Tuesdays

8 comments:

  1. Ok - I just realized you had music on your blog when I forgot to turn off my speakers from watching a video last night..lol. It's nice!!
    Using bread dough is such a great idea. It really spreads up the process a bit. I really need to make some!
    Brandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly one of my favorite perks of winter-Cinnamony comfort food! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look delicious! Thanks for stopping by the blog too---the yertle cupcake toppers are made with candy melts, melted in the microwave for about 20 secs until pipeable in a zip lock baggie, then i traced a pic from the book of yertle. I usually take some pics of the process but just didn't get a chance with these cupcakes! appreciate the comment-feel free to email with any other questions!! michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love cinnamon rolls. A perfect treat on a cold winters day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like cinnamon rolls!

    Happy Thursday! I am blog hopping today and I am so happy I got to stop by your blog!!

    Please come by and visit either or both of my blogs and become a follower (if you aren't one already):

    So Stylilized is where I am currently offering FREE Custom Blog Designs at http://sostylilized.blogspot.com

    Jessicas Lil Corner is my family blog at http://jessicaslilcorner.blogspot.com

    Have a very blessed Thursday!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so much easier than making cinnamon rolls from scratch and they look delicious!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your kind words on the Food Hound!! MMMM, love me some cinnamon rolls-- totally makes cold weather bearable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so delicious now all i need is a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete