Friday, April 1, 2011

What's Baking Round-up ~ Bake From Your Heritage



I had the honor of hosting this month's What's Baking Challenge. While trying to choose a theme for the month of March, I thought about what I most frequently blog. I mostly cook and bake dishes that my mother and grandmothers did. So very much of my kitchen experience stems from my family. Environment and genetics both help shape a person to be who they are, and family, as well as heritage, are part of both. All the memories and fun in the kitchen, for me, are almost always shared with my mom. My family is a great part of who I am so I thought, what better challenge than to bake a dish that represents your family and your heritage. So for March, everyone was asked to Bake from their own Heritage. I hope everyone enjoyed sharing little bits of their own history through their recipes here!



Sicilian Cassata Cake


Melissa, from I Was Born To Cook, shared her Sicilian cake, spongy layers filled with cannoli cream


Ostaka


Ammie, from Adventures in my Kitchen, showed off her traditional Swedish cheesecake topped with lingonberry berry preserves


Joe Frogger Cookies


Catherine, from Pursuing Domestic Goddessness, shared crispy cookies from her New England heritage


Reuben Sandwiches


Jade, from The Mess Pot, boasted her Irish fare of glazed corned beef brisket


Sandbakkels


Carrie, from Carrie's Sweet Life, flaunts her Scandinavian confections, filled shortbread cookies


Streuselkuchen


Lindsey, from Our Share of the Harvest, shared a moist, German cake with a nut and sugar crumble topping


Traditional Tourtière


Jill, from JBean Cuisine, exhibts her love for French-Canadian foods with these cute and savory meat pies


Babovka


Heather, from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks, baked her chocolate and vanilla Slovak pound cake sprinkled with powdered sugar


Buttermilk Oatmeal Muffins


Yudith, from Blissfully Delicious, made her Indonesian-style muffins with chocolate chips


Irish Brown Bread


Cara, from The Boys Made Me Do It, shared a traditional and hearty Irish bread.


Anginettes


I made these cookies to celebrate my Italian heritage, a dense cookie with a lemon glaze



Be sure to check April's What's Baking Challenge-Spring Baking hosted by Leanne, from The Martin Family. You can use some light, fruity desserts or tap into the colors of sping! Thanks to everyone who participated! All of your entries look fantastic!

3 comments:

  1. It all looks good! I've been wanting to make Anginettes. I really need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting this month's what's baking! Everything looked amazing.

    ReplyDelete