Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Banana Split Float and Introducing... Hubby's Kitchen Endeavors!


Welcome to a new section of my blog devoted to the men in our lives. It's called Man Made! (yes cheesy, I know) It's a compilation of the food and drinks that are made by hubby, with or without assistance. This usually consists of drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), all things grill related, and any form of cooking involving a giant flame. Hubby himself will be sharing his new concoctions with you whenever he gets a moment in the kitchen to experiment! I'm so proud of hubby and his culinary skills considering when we met in college, he could barely handle making mac and cheese from the box, and he lived off hamburger helper and various "processed, pre-made food". Since then he has mastered much more and introduced real home cooking into his repertoire. Hope you enjoy this new little segment! (Man Made recipes unless otherwise noted are hubby's own creations, for better or for worse, and are made, photographed, and written by himself)


Banana Split Float

On occasion I get to help in the kitchen, usually I'm in charge of all "tall jobs" and make a great sou-chef. My kitchen tasks consist of cutting chicken, peeling 4 million cloves of garlic, or getting that plate off the top shelf. Once and a while I have a culinary inspiration, and it almost never works out. I would say that 9 times out of 10 the smoke alarm goes off and on a good day we still have enough of an appetite to enjoy the take-out that became a necessity. One of the places in the kitchen that I'm not so bad is Mixology.

Amanda had purchased this bottle of banana liqueur to make bananas foster around Christmas time, but life got in the way so she never got around to it. So I had been staring at this bottle for a few weeks and the craving finally took over last night and I just had to use it! I rummaged around and came up with a little something. Banana Split - for grown ups! I found some of our favorite daiquiri mix and a ton of little toppings and sweet liqueurs. I grabbed our trusty blender and went to work. Each layer tastes delightful on its own but all together this drink combines well an taste like one of my favorite desserts!

2 1/2 cups of ice, divided
2 oz banana liqueur
1 tbs caramel sauce
4 oz strawberry daiquiri mix
1 oz Grey Goose Vodka
1 oz Godiva Chocolate Liqueur
4 small scoops of vanilla ice cream
2 oz Bailey's Irish Cream
maraschino cherries, for topping

1. First, blend 1 cup ice and banana liqueur until smooth. Then add caramel and blend again for 10-20 seconds

2. Pour into bottom of the glass and rinse blender.

3. Blend 1 cup ice, daiquiri mix, and vodka for about 30-45 seconds. Then add chocolate liqueur and blend again until incorporated.

4. Tilt glass and pour slowly while spinning glass. Rinse blender.

5. Blend 1/2 cup ice, ice cream and Irish cream. Blend until there are no chunks of ice left and mixture is creamy.

6. Pour slowly to float foam on top of liquids. Top with a maraschino cherries or two, throw in a straw, and you are all set to enjoy your dessert/drink!



Also featured on: What's Cooking Wednesday

6 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks so much for your lovely comments! :) let me know if you try the recipes, and how they come out x gorgeous-gourmet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That float looks great. My husband is also a master of the grill and just recently shared his first recipe, kettle corn, on my blog. I like your idea for a man made feature :) Thanks for your kind comment on my blOg. Have a good one!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, that's so funny. I think all men turn to the grill as their claim to fame. I know my hubby does! :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm your newest follower and hope you will pop by again and become a follower, as well! Also, Stop by on Sundays to link up to my new So Sweet Sunday linky party. :)

    PS--That float looks divine!

    morrowsunshine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that your husband would share in cooking. What better way to spend time together. This looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That float looks great! Sounds like you and hubby are having a great time in the kitchen. That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I love the "Man Made" name and concept. And I'd certainly order one or 2 of those! YUM! Do you give lessons? My husband could use them.

    ReplyDelete