Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Review of 2011 Bloggers Bake Sale

A few weekend ago, I hosted one of the many bake sales for the 2011 Bloggers Bake Sale team for Share Our Strength through the Great American Bake Sale. This is the second year of the annual event, created by Gaby, from What's Gaby Cooking, where food bloggers from across the nation join together by setting up local bake sales on the same day to share their yummy treats and at the same time raise funds and awareness for Share Our Strength!I hosted one of the bake sales for the New Jersey region at local farm and garden center, Heaven Hill. Share Our Strength is hosting a campaign to raise to end childhood hunger in America by 2015 and is helping children all across America gain the nutrition that is needed.


During the week approaching the bake sale, my grandmother became more ill and weak and moved in with my family. Sadly, she passed away the same week. We were so busy with everything going on at home that I didn't get to bake at all. Luckily, I had solicited the help of some wonderful food bloggers who were gracious enough to help out and their efforts were wonderfully appreciated! So the day before the bake sale, I woke up at 5am and started baking like a crazy woman. It was a lot of fun and my family pitched in to help with the massive amounts of flying baking sheets and dirty dishes. By the end of the day, we had everything baked, cooled, and individually wrapper and ready for the bake sale.



The bake sale ended up being a hit and we raised 300 dollars! I'm so grateful for all the people who stopped by our bake sale and supported us! We did have some very delicious treats for sale and we sold well over half our baked goods. Two wonderful ladies, Danielle and Melissa, who are fellow Jersey Bites writers baked up some wonderful treats from raspberry oatmeal chocolate chip cookies to dark chocolate brownies and peanut butter cup filled chocolate chip cookies to brownie cookies bars. Danielle even worked the bake sale with me while being 8 months pregnant! Also, Donna, from My Tasty Journey, baked cappuccino chocolate chip cupcakes/muffins (guest post from Donna with the recipe for these coming soon!) and a bunch of loaves of banana breads. They were so yummy! Thank you girls so much for all your baking! My contributions were largely in the form of cookies. I'm not sure why, but I was on a cookie frenzy! I baked M&M sugar cookies, traditional chocolate chip as well peanut butter chocolate chunk, and cinnamon roll cookies. I also made some lemon blueberry muffins and cashew peanut clusters. My mom made some yummy super crumb cakes too, which were big sellers! I wish I had taken more photos of the individual items, but oh well, next time. And next year, I plan to try again and to challenge myself even more and raise more money for Share Our Strength!


(this is my adorable cousin and her bestie, who might as well be part of the fam, bringing in the crowds)

1 comment:

  1. Sooo glad everything turned out great! I'll be whipping up a batch of those cappacino muffins ASAP!

    PS-Thank you again for the Anginettes (and bag AND emry boards!)!! THEY WERE OUTSTANDING! and totally made my day;)

    ReplyDelete