Italian Mac and Cheese
Adapted from the Pioneer Woman's Fancy Macaroni and Cheese
5 cups Macaroni
8 Tablespoons Butter (Salted Butter)
2 whole Medium Onions, sliced julienne
10 slices Regular Bacon
2 Tablespoon Bacon Grease (reserved From Bacon Slices)
1/4 cups All-purpose Flour
2 cups Whole Or 2% Milk
1/2 cups Half-and-Half
2 whole Egg Yolks, Beaten
Salt And Pepper and Garlic Powder (to taste)
1/2 cups Grated Provolone Cheese
1/2 cups Grated Fontina Cheese
1/2 cups Grated Pecorino Romano
1/2 cups Grated Mozzarella
1. Fry bacon in a skillet. Drain on a paper towel. Don't forget to save the grease.
2. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a skillet and then saute onions over medium-low heat until browned and crispy. Set aside on paper towels.
3. Cook pasta in boiling water until very, very al dente. Drain. Set aside
4. In a pot, melt 4 tablespoons butter.
5. Add bacon grease.
6. Slowly add in flour and whisk to combine. Continue to cook for another minute or two.
7. Stir in milk and half and half. Cook for 5- 7 more minutes.
8. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
9. Beat the egg yolks and temper with a few spoonfuls of cooked milk mixture. Stir tempered egg yolks back into hot milk mixture. Combine well.
10. Toss in all the tasty cheeses and mix well.
11. Stir in bacon and onions.
12. Add pasta and mix.
13. Cook in a large pyrex for 20-25 minutes on 350 degrees.